Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Cathleen

Cathleen was inspired by Sean's recent embroidering and started a scene of her own!

Working hard on the butterfly.

This is the third time she made eggs in puff pastry. The next recipe she chose is Clam Chowder..we will do the "quick" version with canned clams but it still requires frying up bacon and onions. Not terribly easy but she insists.

Cathleen has been having a tough time of it lately. She has been refusing to do things she normally loved to do. Spanish class, school subjects, violin, get dressed. There's no rhyme or reason to it as far as I can tell. Some days she does fine but increasingly, she's been hard to get through to. We've had a light stomach flu go through the family over 2 weeks ago but she's still exhibiting symptoms. Complaining of feeling like she needs to throw up or sit on the toilet but nothing happens.

ETA: 4/13/16 doc is concerned about her weight loss. She went from 19th to 4th percentile in 4 months. Weighed in at 43 lbs. I forgot to ask what her weight was in December. Says to get her eating no matter what the food. I took her to the commissary right afterward and she picked a few things out but refuses to eat them. I'm hoping she feels like eating tomorrow. He tested her glucose which was 53. He said that's too low but since she hasn't eaten for two days, not surprising. Urine analysis results to check for UTI will be in soon. As for now, my job is to get her to eat. Not an easy task since she doesn't want to be told what to do right now and she's not hungry!

ETA: 4/14/16 After I wrote that first ETA above, Cathleen started refusing water. Well, she refused everything I offered. I even offered soda. {gasp} It looked like it was a battle of wills instead of her being unable to drink. She was capable of drinking, said she wasn't thirsty and therefore wouldn't drink no matter. She even said she'd rather go to the hospital and get an IV (after I told her that would be the next step) than take a sip. Later, she did take one small sip so she could watch Toy Story. I was worried all night and she was up hanging over the toilet at 5, maybe earlier, for a long time. I decided I would most likely take her to the ER. I made all the necessary arrangements for the kids and waited for her to wake. Decided to call Tricare 24/7 nurse for advice. The nurse said to try spoonfuls of water. I was sure this wasn't going to work but I woke her up to try. She ended up drinking 6 oz of regular water and electrolyte water! Yay! Just got her to drink a few more spoonfuls. She's napping/watching tv.

Despite all this, she's been so sweet, working on serving us like a waitress at dinner and creating lots and lots of art.

2 comments:

  1. Cathleen looks so beautiful in this picture! Her hair seems more curly than ever. Sorry to hear she is having a bit of a rough time lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did rag curls in her hair the night before!

      Delete

reason to click here.